Pregnancy Diary: 39 Weeks

The waiting game continues! We all thought this little guy was going to come early but since it is already 8pm the day before his due date, I guess not! Trust me, I have not been in any rush though!  If you’ve been following along, you know that I’ve had a lot of anxiety around having a second child and knowing my sweet Lily will no longer be my only baby.  I’ve also really been enjoying full nights of sleep, coming and going as I please, and wearing something other than nursing tank tops and sweat pants!  Of course, I am so excited to meet my little boy but I know he’ll come when he’s good and ready.  Could be tonight! Who knows.

39 weeks pregnant
Image by Shelby Gordon

I had my second bout of false labor this week.  This time I ended up in the hospital!  It was early Thursday morning and I woke up around 4am and rushed to the bathroom (for those of you who don’t know, loose stools/diarrhea are signs of impending labor- your body is trying to clear itself out so you can push properly).  After a few rounds of that and feeling a fair amount of contractions and pain I decided to wake Andy up.  I asked him to time my contractions and we sat in bed waiting to see what the timer would say.  After about the 4thone we realized each of them were over a minute long and about 6-7 minutes apart.  On top of the contractions, I started to get the chills.  They were so bad it was difficult to talk (again, another sign of labor).  Once we realized there was a contraction pattern we called our doula and let her know what was happening.  She told us to monitor it for another half hour or so and to call her back.  The contractions were still pretty regular by then so it was time to get up and start taking it seriously.  I felt like the first-time dad who gets in the car without his wife- I couldn’t focus on anything!  I couldn’t eat and I wasn’t sure if I should get myself together, call the nanny, pack or wake up Lily.  The pain was continuing to get worse by 6 so we asked our nanny to come to the house and I texted my doctor to let him know what was going on.  I finally came downstairs to sit on the couch and it got to the point where I was having a harder time talking through the contractions. Everyone agreed that it was time to get to the hospital.  I had such a fast labor with Lily that I have been warned this one could be REALLY fast. I agreed to get going, gave Lily a million hugs and kisses and jumped in the car.  By the time we got to the hospital my contractions were all but gone.  I thought maybe once I got settled they would start up again but after 2 hours of sitting around filling out paper work and answering questions I felt nothing.  I got checked and was 3cm dilated which I know means nothing.  You can be 3cm for weeks!  I asked to go home and we left.  After how crazy my labor was with Lily, I never expected that a false alarm like that would ever happen to me! I couldn’t believe it.  I wasn’t embarrassed, I just felt bad that I interrupted so many people’s mornings for nothing.

We all suspected it might ramp up again later that day but other than a few minutes of discomfort in the evening, nothing happened.  This baby really loves messing with us!  I had a feeling after our first false labor 3 weeks ago that he would end up doing that more than once!  I have to say that when I was sitting in the car on the way to the hospital I was SO close to tears.  This whole pregnancy I have said that I’m way more nervous about having a newborn again than the actual labor and delivery part but realizing I was so close to going through all of that pain again was pretty terrifying.  I guess because Lily’s delivery was pretty fast (and so hectic) that I just kind of blocked out all of the pain, but once I started getting in my head about it I got SO nervous.  Birth is a beautiful thing but a lot can happen and you just never know how it will unfold. With my first, I got time to process what was going on.  I felt yucky in the morning, realized I was in labor by 3, sat through Andy’s game as it progressively got worse & then by the time we got home from the game I was in full-blown painful labor.  I was distracted, calm and prepared.  Like I said before, I’ve been warned by my doctor and everyone else that because my labor was only 9 hours and I only pushed 3 times with Lily that I have a high chance of having a REALLY short (3 hours or less) labor.  That is really scary.  How do I know when to head into the hospital?  Will I be fine one minute and in excruciating pain the next?  Will I even get a chance to process what is going on? The waiting truly is the hardest part.  I know there is nothing I can do about how and when he will be born but it doesn’t make it any easier to calm the anxiety. 

The good news is, we know he will be fully cooked and after the false labor scare 3 weeks ago I started power-nesting and got a TON checked off the list.  Of course, there’s always something else to be done but I feel as prepared as I can be.  Oh, and my mama is here now, yay!  One of my biggest worries was who was going to watch Lily and now I can take a huge sigh of relief knowing she will be in the best hands.   Well, mamas, I do have a feeling this will indeed be the last of my dairies.  It’s been one hell of a ride.  Stay tuned to Instagram to see when my little man decides to arrive & keep an eye on the blog for his birth story!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Looking for Something?